Soak in the sunshine while you can with this fun, sunny square! The sun in the middle really pops out thanks to front post stitches. This pattern was designed for the 2015 Mystery Lapghan CAL (#MysteryLapghanCAL2015). If this is the first you’ve heard about it, don’t worry – we’ve only just started, so there’s plenty of time to catch up! You can read more about it here, and you may also want to check out the official Mystery Lapghan FAQ on Crochet Memories.
This pattern is protected by copyright. Please do not distribute or share this pattern in any way other than by sharing a link to this page or to the pattern page on Ravelry. Click here for copyright information.
This pattern contains affiliate links (click for more info). If you click one of these links and then make a purchase, I may be compensated. You get the same great prices, and you will be helping to support this site!
- Worsted weight yarn – I used Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice
- 20 yds main color (A) – I used Mustard
- 20 yds background color (B) – I used Silver Blue
- Size I / 9 (5.5 mm) hook or size needed to obtain gauge
- Yarn or tapestry needle
Intermediate – Worked in the round, post / cable stitches, working into front loop or back loop only.
First 3 rounds (the sun) should measure 3.5″ in diameter.
- ch = chain
- sc = single crochet
- hdc = half double crochet
- dc = double crochet
- csdc = chainless starting double crochet
- fptr = front post treble
- sl st = slip stitch
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- sp(s) = space(s)
- sk = skip
- rnd = round
- RS = right side
- WS = wrong side
- The magic circle technique is recommended, for a more solid center with no gap. If you prefer, you can chain 4 and join with a sl st to form a loop instead.
- The chainless starting double crochet (csdc) is recommended for a less visible join. If you prefer, you can chain 3 (counts as a dc) instead.
- For cleaner color changes, change colors in the last step of the previous stitch (i.e. when pulling through the last 2 loops to finish the stitch)
- For some rounds you will need to turn your work, and for others you won’t. Do not turn unless specifically specified in the instructions.
- How to Make the Magic Ring by Dorianna Rivelli (same thing as magic circle)
- Chainless starting double crochet by Moogly
- Chainless Starting Double Crochet in the Magic Ring by Moogly
- Front and Back Post Stitch Crochet by Jessie at Home (video shows several post stitches, including fptr)
- How to Seamlessly Change Colors in Crochet by Petals to Picots
- Tapestry Crochet by Moogly (shows how to carry the non-working color as you go)
- How to Crochet into the Front Loops and Back Loops Only by Fiber Flux
Rnd 1 (RS): With A, inside a magic circle, work (csdc, 11 dc), join with sl st in 1st st. (12 dc)
Rnd 2: Do not turn. Csdc in first st, fptr around same st, (dc in next st, fptr around post of same st) 11 times, join with sl st in 1st st, changing to B. (24 sts)
Note: Do not fasten off A. For Rnd 3 you will be switching back and forth between colors. Carry the non-working color along as you go.
Rnd 3: Do not turn. With B, ch 1, csdc in first st, dc in next st, switching to A. *With A, fptr around post of same st, switching to B.** With B, dc in next 2 sts, switching to A. Repeat from * 11 more times, ending at ** on last repeat. With B, join with sl st to first st. Fasten off A. (36 sts)
Rnd 4: Do not turn. With B, csdc in first st, dc in same st, *hdc in next 3 sts, sc in next 2 sts, hdc in next 3 sts,** (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next st, repeat from * 3 more times, ending at ** on last repeat, (2 dc, ch 2) in same st as first st, join with sl st to first st. (48 sts, 4 ch 2 sps)
Rnd 5 (WS): Turn, sl st into ch sp, changing to A. Fasten off B. With A, ch 1, 2 hdc in same sp, *hdc in front loop only of each st across to next corner ch sp,** (2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc) in ch sp, repeat from * 3 more times, ending at ** on last repeat, (2 hdc, ch 2) in starting ch sp, join with sl st to 1st st. (64 sts, 4 ch 2 sps)
Rnd 6 (RS): Turn, sl st into ch sp, changing to B. Fasten off A. With B, ch 1, csdc in ch sp, dc in same ch sp, *dc in back loop only of each st to corner,** (2 dc, ch 2, 2dc) in ch sp, repeat from * 3 times more, ending at ** on last repeat, (2dc, ch 2) in starting corner sp, join with sl st to 1st st. (80 sts, 4 ch 2 sps)
Fasten off and weave in all ends.
I hope you enjoy the pattern! A downloadable pdf of this pattern is also available in my Craftsy store for a $1 fee. The fee for the pdf format is to offset the advertising revenue lost when you print or download the pattern rather than viewing it online.
If you would like to receive notifications of new posts and patterns as they become available, please follow this blog. You can follow by e-mail (look at the sidebar on the right for the follow by email option), or via RSS feed, or via your WordPress.com reader: Follow Stitches ‘N’ Scraps on WordPress.com