I got a skein of Lion Brand Landscapes yarn in a goodie bag at the Knit and Crochet Show last year. It’s a soft and silky, worsted weight, acrylic yarn. It’s just a little bit fuzzy, so it has a nice, soft “halo” to it when it’s worked up.The lovely yarn does all the work in this basic fingerless mitts pattern. It works up fast, and is fun and easy to make!
3/2/2016 – Marie Segares of the Underground Crafter has made a podcast version of this pattern! Check it out!
This pattern is protected by copyright. Please do not distribute or share this pattern in any way other than by sharing a link to this page or to the pattern page on Ravelry. Click here for copyright information.
This pattern contains affiliate links (click for more info). If you click one of these links and then make a purchase, I may be compensated. You get the same great prices, and you will be helping to support this site!
Pacific Sunset Mitts
- Lion Brand Landscapes yarn
– 1 skein of the “Tropics” colorway.
- Size H / 8 (5 mm) hook or size needed to achieve gauge
- Size G / 6 (4.25 mm) hook or 1 size smaller than the other hook you are using.
- Yarn or tapestry needle
Intermediate – Mostly easy double crochet in the round. Some increases, decreases, and front post / back post dc stitches make it Intermediate.
Adult – one size fits most.
13 dc x 7 rows = 4″ square.
- ch = chain
- sc = single crochet
- fsc = foundation single crochet (optional)
- dc = double crochet
- csdc = chainless starting double crochet (optional)
- fpdc = front post double crochet
- bpdc = back post double crochet
- dc2tog = double crochet two stitches together
- sl st = slip stitch
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- sp(s) = space(s)
- rnd = round
- RS = right side
- WS = wrong side
- Foundation single crochet is highly recommended for the first row, because it is stretchier and leaves a nice finished edge. An alternative starting round using a starting chain is provided if you prefer.
- Chainless starting double crochet stitches are recommended because it results in a more seamless look. However, if you prefer, you can replace “turn, csdc” with “ch 3 (counts as first dc), turn” anywhere it appears in the pattern.
- Join rounds with a sl st in the first st unless otherwise instructed.
- A pair off mitts uses only about 2/3 of the skein. If you like to start from the same spot in the color sequence so that the striping matches, there should be enough in a skein for you to be able to line that up.
- Foundation Single Crochet by Moogly
- Joining Foundation Stitches to Work in the Round by Moogly
- Chainless Starting Double Crochet by Moogly
- Front & Back Post Crochet by Jessie at Home
- Double Crochet 2 Together by Jessie at Home
Row 1 (RS): With larger hook, work 22 fsc, join round. (22 fsc)
Alternative Row 1 (RS): With larger hook, ch 23, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, join round. (22 sc)
Switch to smaller hook.
Rows 2-3 (RS): Do NOT turn. Ch 2 (counts as bpdc), (fpdc around next st, bpdc around next st) around to last st, fpdc around last st, join. (22 sts)
Switch to larger hook
Row 4: Turn, csdc in first st, dc in each st around, join. (22 sts)
Your piece should now measure approximately 6.75 inches around and 1.5 inches tall.
Row 5: Turn, csdc in first st, dc in next 9 sts, (2 dc in next st) twice, dc in next 10 sts, join. (24 sts)
Row 6: Turn, csdc in first st, dc in next 10 sts, (2 dc in next st) twice, dc in next 11 sts, join. (26 sts)
Row 7: Turn, csdc in first st, dc in next 11 sts, (2 dc in next st) twice, dc in next 12 sts, join. (28 sts)
Row 8: Turn, csdc in first st, dc in next 12 sts, (2 dc in next st) twice, dc in next 13 sts, join. (30 sts)
Row 9: Turn, csdc in first st, dc in each st around, join. (30 sts)
Row 10: Turn, csdc in first st, dc in next 8 sts, dc2tog in next 2 sts, ch 2, sk next 8 sts (thumb hole), dc2tog in next 2 sts, dc in next 9 sts, join (20 sts, 2 chs)
Row 11: Turn, csdc in first st, dc in next 9 sts, dc in back bump of next 2 chs, dc in next 10 sts (22 sts)
Row 12-13: Turn, csdc in first st, dc in each st around, join. (22 sts)
/Switch to smaller hook
/Row 14: Do NOT turn. Ch 2 (counts as bpdc), (fpdc around next st, bpdc around next st) around to last st, fpdc around last st, join. (22 sts)
Fasten off, weave in ends. Repeat instructions for 2nd mitt.
A downloadable pdf of this pattern is also available in my Craftsy store for a $1 fee. The fee for the pdf format is to offset the advertising revenue lost when you print or download the pattern rather than viewing it online.
If you would like to receive notifications of new posts and patterns as they become available, please follow this blog. You can follow by e-mail (look at the sidebar on the right for the follow by email option), or via RSS feed, or via your WordPress.com reader: Follow Stitches ‘N’ Scraps on WordPress.com