I love receiving gift cards for my favorite stores, so that I can pick out exactly what I want, whenever I want it. I don’t always love giving them though; sometimes it just feels a bit impersonal. If you feel the same way, these gift card holders are a quick and easy way to add a personal touch!
The pattern includes several options to make it uniquely yours. The front can be solid or can have a window. With the solid front, you can leave it plain for an elegant and simple design, or you can embellish it with felt, buttons, appliques, etc. The window front includes an optional bow and lacing, and you can add a To/From tag or a picture inside the window. I have even included some printable tags for you! For both versions, there is also an option to add a loop to the top for hanging.
This pattern is protected by copyright. Please do not distribute or share this pattern in any way other than by sharing a link to this page or to the pattern page on Ravelry. Click here for copyright information.
Gift Card Holder
- DK weight yarn
- 20 yds main color (MC)
- 5 yds accent color (A)
- Size H/8 (5mm) hook
- Yarn needle
- Optional embellishments if desired (felt, buttons, etc)
Intermediate – Worked in the round and includes foundation single crochet and reverse single crochet.
Approximately 4″ x 2 3/4″ (fits standard size gift card)
Solid piece (back) should measure approximately 3 1/2″ x 2 1/4″ – just slightly larger than the gift card.
- RS = right side
- WS = wrong side
- ch = chain
- sc = single crochet
- fsc = foundation single crochet
- rsc = reverse single crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- sp(s) = space(s)
- sk = skip
- On the last row, both the solid and window pieces should have 13 sc across each long side, 9 sc across each short side, and ch 2 spaces in each corner.
- When joining, I like to clip the pieces together in the corners with locking stitch markers, safety pins, or other clips. That holds them in place and makes the joining easier.
For solid option, make 2 (back and front). For window option, make 1 (back).
Rnd 1 (WS): With MC, 5 fsc, [ch 2, sc in bottom (“chain” section) of last fsc] twice. Working along bottom sts, sc in next 4 sts, ch 2, sc in same st, ch 2, join with sl st to top of first st. This round should form a solid rectangle with ch sps in each corner.
Rnds 2-5: Turn, sl st in first corner sp, ch 2, sc in same sp, [sc in each st across to next corner, [sc, ch 2, sc] in corner sp] 3 times, sc in each st across to next corner, sc in next corner, ch 2, join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off.
For window option, make 1 (front).
Rnd 1 (RS): With MC, 11 fsc, ch2, sc in bottom (“chain” section) of last fsc worked, 6 fsc, ch 2, sc in bottom of last fsc worked, 10 fsc, ch 2, sc in bottom of last fsc worked, 5 fsc, sc in bottom of first fsc of row (being careful not to twist your work), ch 2, sl st in top of first fsc. Use tail to join the bottom of the first and last fsc stitches (see Fig 1). This rnd should make an open rectangle.
Rnd 2: Turn, sl st in first corner sp, ch 2, sc in same sp, [sc in each st across to next corner, [sc, ch 2, sc] in corner sp] 3 times, sc in each st across to next corner, sc in next corner, ch 2, join with sl st to first sc.
- Hold front and back with wrong sides together, front facing you, and long side on top (see Fig 2a).
- Working through both thicknesses, join A with sc in top left corner, (rsc in each st across to next corner, rsc in corner) twice.
- Turn work so that back is facing you and short, open edge is on top (see Fig 2b).
- Working around the open edge, 2sc in same corner sp on back, sc in next 8 sts, 2 sc in next corner sp on back, 2 sc in next corner sp on front, sc in next 8 sts, 2sc in next corner sp on front, join with sl st to first sc, fasten off.
- Weave in all ends
- For hanging loop:
- Cut a 12″ piece of A and fold in half. Tie loop end in a secure knot, leaving a 1/2″ loop above the knot (see Fig 3).
- Place loop at center-top of holder and sew in place with the ends.
- For lacing and bow – window option only:
- Position holder so that open edge is to the right and front is facing you (See Fig 4).
- Cut a 12″ piece of A. Starting at top left corner, use yarn needle to weave it in and out of the stitches on row 1, around the front opening. Tie ends in a bow and trim.
I hope you enjoy the pattern!
If you would like to receive notifications of new posts and patterns as they become available, please follow this blog. You can follow by e-mail (look at the sidebar on the right for the follow by email option), or via RSS feed.