I finished my diagonal garter stitch blanket last night. It turned out OK, but I’m really not in love with it.
This is intended to go with the Oslo Anorak as a baby gift for a friend. The yarn used for the lacing looks black here, but it’s actually green and brown. It’s the same 2 yarns used in the sweater, crocheted together into a (very) long chain. I like the running stitch along the edge, but I think the criss-cross lacing between the squares is just ok. Also the center looks a little odd to me. Finally, the blanket is more dense at the seams and stretches more at the corners, which I’m not so happy with.
The main yarn (Bernat Baby Blanket) is puffy and soft and luscious. It feels a bit like a luxury bathrobe, only silkier. However, since it’s super thick and bulky, it does take a lot of yarn to make one blanket.
My original intention was to make the whole blanket in one piece, but I only had 10 inch straight needles in that size, which weren’t nearly enough. Rather than go out and buy circulars, I decided to break it up into 4 squares. I think I would have liked it better as 1 piece, without all the seams; I think I may try doing one that way. I do like the idea of keeping these in my baby gift stash so that, for a last minute gift, I could just customize one with a ribbon or cord around the edge.